Casa Gorordo Museum will host the launching of three children’s books from Filipino-American author Christina Newhard on June 26, 2017. Part of her Sari-sari Storybooks, Newhard releases her first offerings in Cebuano (Si Kalipay ug ang Kinagamyang Tiktik / Kalipay and the Tiniest Tiktik), Ivatan (Si Melo A Mahakay A Umang / Melo and the Umang-Boy), and Chavacano (Si Amina Y El Ciudad de Maga Flores / Amina and the City of Flowers). The stories were developed during her many trips back to the Philippines and the illustrations by working together with talented illustrators, translators, and authors. The books are designed as teaching tools; each includes a bilingual glossary and discussion/activity questions. The stories teach core Filipino values (community, respect for elders, tolerance) and Philippine subjects (weaving, folklore, migration). Brooklyn-based, Newhard left her graphics design job at Columbia University to pursue this passion-project as homage to her Filipino roots which she has great affinity for.
Search CGM Articles
- Merienda Makeover: Chef Dave Daryl Gelaga Hosts Talk On Revamping Cebuano Meriendas
- A Religious Revolution: A CGM Talk on the Pulahanes of the Visayas
- Pista Ni San Juan Celebration Lives On at the Casa Gorordo Museum
- CGM Talk: Trompe l’oeil Ceiling Paintings in Cebu and Bohol Heritage Churches
- Pottery Painting Workshop
Browse All News
There are no upcoming events at this time.